welcome sense at startup chatbot

Help and bugs.

welcome sense at startup chatbot

Postby Jan-Verhaar » January 19th, 2012, 10:58 am

Hi there,

I have installed Program O (1.0.4) and every works great. I like to know en do more, so have some questions (I have checked, but could not found the answers on the site and on this forum):

1) How (or where) can I set a welcome sense at startup of the chatbot. (Like: Hi there, what can I do for you?) I mean the moment that you open the bot-page and you have not send any questions to the bot.

2) In the database is a table named: aiml_userdefined What will be stored (and when) in this table?
EDIT: SOLVED. With "Bad answer" during talking with the bot you can make your own answers to questions.

3) Is there any programming-information how this program works?

Thanks, Jan.
PS. You may reply in Dutch ;) Just Kidding!
Jan-Verhaar
Casual Member

Re: welcome sense at startup chatbot

Postby Jan-Verhaar » January 22nd, 2012, 12:16 pm

Hi there,

I have read the last days a lot on internet and on this forum. But I did not found a solution how I can set a welcome text in the chatbot. When I look to for example Morti, the welcome text is:
Morti: Hi! I'm Morti! I was created by Dave Morton, of Geek Cave Creations, and I'm ready to talk about ALL SORTS of things! ...

I have print out all the PHP code from the program-O bot-part, but found no parameter to set this kind of message.
I have tried to put it in de AIML, but didn't find the solution.

Please, please, help me!
Thanks in advanced, Jan
Jan-Verhaar
Casual Member

Postby GeekCaveCreations » January 23rd, 2012, 3:00 pm

Hi, Jan. I'm sorry I didn't get to this sooner, but things here have been very busy.

Let's go over your questions, and see what we can come up with. :)

1.) Setting up an initial greeting for your chatbot isn't all that hard, unless you want to vary the contents of that greeting to different visitors, or for different times of day or other factors. If that's desired, then it can get challenging. :) the example you've stated from my chatbot is simply coded into the page itself, not into Program O.

2.) Glad you got that worked out, but bear in mind that the data stored in that table is implemented on a per-user basis, which means that any corrections that I might make to the bot's responses will only be visible to me, and any changes that another user might make are only visible to that user. To implement any desired changes to everyone, the AIML files themselves (or the corresponding entries in the database) would have to be changed.

3.) Currently, there is no documentation out there that explains specifically how Program O works, and there probably never will be. There is work underway to create/develop documentation for version 2 of the script, but that''s still a long way off, and doesn't get into the "nuts & bolts" of the script's operations. I wish I could give you better news, but such is the way of it. :( However, if you have a specific question about some aspect of Program O, please ask, and I'll do my best to answer.

And now, in Dutch (blame any errors on Google)!

Hallo, ik januari het spijt heb ik niet krijgen om dit sneller, maar de zaken hier al erg druk.

Laten we gaan over uw vragen, en zien wat we kunnen verzinnen. :)

1.) Het opzetten van een eerste begroeting voor uw chatbot is niet zo moeilijk, tenzij u de inhoud van die groet variëren verschillende bezoekers, of voor verschillende momenten van de dag of andere factoren. Als dat gewenst, dan kan je een uitdaging. :) Het voorbeeld dat u hebt gezegd vanuit mijn chatbot is gewoon gecodeerd in de pagina zelf, niet naar programma O.

2.) Blij dat je kreeg die uitgewerkt, maar houd in gedachten dat de opgeslagen gegevens in die tabel is uitgevoerd op een per gebruiker basis, wat betekent dat eventuele correcties die ik zou kunnen maken om de reacties van de bot's zijn alleen zichtbaar voor mij, en alle wijzigingen die een andere gebruiker kunnen maken zijn alleen zichtbaar voor die gebruiker. Voor de uitvoering van de gewenste wijzigingen aan iedereen, dan zou de AIML bestanden zelf (of de overeenkomstige gegevens in de database) moeten worden veranderd.

3.) Momenteel is er geen documentatie uit dat er specifiek wordt uitgelegd hoe Program O werkt, en er waarschijnlijk nooit zal zijn. Er is de lopende werkzaamheden te creëren / documentatie te ontwikkelen voor versie 2 van het script, maar that' is nog een lange weg te gaan, en niet te krijgen in de "Nuts & Bolts" van de activiteiten van het script . Ik wou dat ik kon geven u beter nieuws, maar dit is de manier van het. : (Maar als u een specifieke vraag over een bepaald aspect van het programma O, raadpleeg dan, en ik zal mijn best doen om te beantwoorden.
Comforting the disturbed, and disturbing the comfortable
Chat with Morti
GeekCaveCreations
Safe, Reliable Insanity, Since 1961

Postby Jan-Verhaar » January 23rd, 2012, 9:03 pm

Thanks Dave,

I put some extra code in index.php and it works, but not very nice.
Code: Select all
<body OnLoad="document.chat.chat.focus();">
<div><p>
  <?php

if (S_POST['action'] == "") {  // S_ must be $_, but the forum does not support that command
     $res = "<div class=\"demobot\">Bot: Hi</div>";
  }
  echo $res;
  echo "<br/>";
  echo $formchat;
  ?></p>
</div></body>

When I start a conversation with the bot, the welcome text is after the first "say" gone. The first "say" is the starting point for script to collect question (You), answer (Bot). By default 2x You and 2x Bot. For example:

You: when are you build
Bot: Whenever you teach it to me.
You: hallo
Bot: hallo terug

I tested it also with Morti and it works there the same. But I had hoped that it is possible to start with a welcome text and that the answer would be print below it. And so on.

To do that, I think you must put the welcome text in a lower level of the script, but where? That's the question?

Thank you for the answers (2) and (3). Also thanks for the Dutch translation! Unfortunately, the English version was easier to read. Translations in to Dutch and Google are not the strongest combination ;)

cu, Jan.
Jan-Verhaar
Casual Member

Postby GeekCaveCreations » January 23rd, 2012, 11:31 pm

In order for me to give you the best advice on where to place an opening line for your bot in a place where it does as you intend, I would have to see the full extent of both your User Interface (the HTML for the page) and your back-end code (minus the connection details, of course). A lot of things go on when scripts of this sort run, and it's not always clear how best to proceed without knowing some necessary details. You should be able to upload the files here as TXT files (just add '.txt. without the quotes to the end of each filename), or you can email them to me at dmorton at geekcavecreations dot com - My contact page has no provisions for sending files, and it never will, for security reasons.
Comforting the disturbed, and disturbing the comfortable
Chat with Morti
GeekCaveCreations
Safe, Reliable Insanity, Since 1961

Postby Jan-Verhaar » January 24th, 2012, 12:09 am

I am running the chatbot local on my laptop. The files I use, are the original program-O 1.0.4 files (no additional extra plugins installed). The ones you can download via this website. (from http://sourceforge.net/projects/program-o/ )

I appreciate the effort you invested in me and in this forum!
cheers, Jan.
Jan-Verhaar
Casual Member

Return to Bugs and Help