My bot doesn't remember the users

Help and bugs.

My bot doesn't remember the users

Postby voarsh » May 5th, 2012, 12:47 pm

My bot doesn't remember the users name when they say it to the bot.

I need some help =)
voarsh
Obsessed Member

Re: My bot doesn't remember the users

Postby GeekCaveCreations » May 5th, 2012, 2:02 pm

Well, THAT'S not good. Is it just failing to remember the user's name? or is it failing to remember other things, as well? Also, what AIML are you using to store the user's name? Without seeing the AIML code that the bot uses to keep track of things, it's hard to separate the problem into either a script bug, or an AIML issue.
Comforting the disturbed, and disturbing the comfortable
Chat with Morti
GeekCaveCreations
Safe, Reliable Insanity, Since 1961

Postby voarsh » June 10th, 2012, 12:48 pm

Hi again.

When a user leaves the session, this is not stored in the database?

Uncertain. Anyway, when the user leaves, the session closes? Either way, when the user comes back, the bot sometimes remembers it's the same user (it has the same user ID in chat logs) but doesn't remember anything they previously said, like their name. etc.

Is this a known bug or is it not supported in version ONE?
voarsh
Obsessed Member

Postby GeekCaveCreations » June 10th, 2012, 1:32 pm

In version 1, the user's unique id is stored in a cookie, and tied to the id of the session that was started. That same session id, along with other statistical data (though not the user's name), is also stored in the users table of the DB, but I don't think that the script takes much advantage of this. As a result, all that the bot remembers between visits is the conversation log (but not in any meaningful way) and MAYBE any custom responses, but only if the user doesn't clear their cookies in between visits.

When I modified version 1 of Program O for my bot, Morti, I wanted to improve upon the script's "memory" capabilities, so I added a table for storing conversation variables (the AIML <SET> and <GET> tags), added a 'name' field to the users table (which has carried over to version 2), and altered the script to make it "remember" as much about a visitor as possible, so that when the visitor returns, as long as they haven't cleared their cookies, Morti would remember them as completely as possible.

I brought up the way I modified version 1 for Morti because once we get the bugs worked out of version 2, I'm going to see about creating an addon for the script that replicates this as much as possible. Currently, version 2 DOES store the visitor's name in the users table, but "forgets" all of the conversation variables between visits, so I'll work on changing that. :)
Comforting the disturbed, and disturbing the comfortable
Chat with Morti
GeekCaveCreations
Safe, Reliable Insanity, Since 1961

Return to Bugs and Help