Read This Before Registering!

Read This Before Registering!

Postby GeekCaveCreations » November 15th, 2011, 9:50 am

Over the past several weeks, I've seen a huge influx in the number of requests to join the forums here. Normally, this would be a good thing, but unfortunately, things are not so simple. I'm receiving an average of 15 or so membership requests per day. About a third of the usernames are obviously from spam bots, so I discard them out of hand. Of the remaining 10 or so that I approve, nearly all of them end up either posting spam and getting banned, or they post spam links in their profiles, which either gets them a warning, or gets them banned, depending on the types of sites, or whether they were already warned. I think I've approved only 5 members in the past couple of months who have actually been legitimate members. I take spam very seriously, and I deal with it immediately, so that you folks don't have to here. These forums are for discussions about Program O, and for support for Program O. It's not a link farm, nor is it a place where you have to worry about spam, and I want to keep it that way.

So, in keeping with my desire to keep this place spam free, and in an effort to make my life a little more sane, I've decided to try something different in the way that I moderate membership requests. Since I'm only a Global Moderator, and not an admin, I can't change the way the forums handle membership requests, so the process here will remain the same. BUT... There will be a change in how I handle them.

If you wish to sign up for a membership in these forums, please visit my Contact page to send me a message. In that message, you need to add the username you've used to sign up with. When I get that message, I'll look through all of the recently received forum applications to find the one that matches the name you gave me, and I'll approve the request. If I do not receive a matching message from my contact page for a given username, I will NOT approve it. Some things you should know about messages I get from my contact page:

1.) When messages are sent to me through that page, the IP address is logged, and I'll know the ISP that you use, so if you abuse my contact page, I WILL contact your ISP to complain.

2.) The script that handles sending me messages has some built-in security measures to automatically detect spammers, and will just as automatically send complaints to the ISP of anyone who tries to send me spam, so just don't send any, or your Internet connection may just be at risk.

I don't expect this new procedure to reduce the number of spammers who are trying to infiltrate our forums, but it WILL reduce the number that actually end up becoming members and getting banned right after. It will also save me a LOT of time, which means I'll have more time to work on version 2.0, and that HAS to be a good thing.

If you have any questions or comments about anything I've posted here, please feel free to respond.

UPDATE

There is no longer any need to send us a registration request through the Geek Cave Creations contact page. However, there seems to be a bug in the forum software where posts from new users go into the moderation queue, but no notification email is sent to the admin staff. So if you post something, but don't see any responses within 24 hours, visit this page to let me know about it, and I'll hit the forums as soon as possible to take care of it. Thanks for your patience, and sorry for the inconvenience.
Comforting the disturbed, and disturbing the comfortable
Chat with Morti
GeekCaveCreations
Safe, Reliable Insanity, Since 1961

Re: Read This Before Registering!

Postby GeekCaveCreations » July 9th, 2013, 9:18 pm

~=UPDATE=~

After considerable "behind the scenes" discussion, Liz and I have decided to do away with moderator activation for new accounts on a trial basis. This means that, for now, you can register for the forums without the need for waiting for an admin to approve you. As long as we don't get slammed with spam-bots we'll keep things this way, but if we get another attack like we did a while back, we'll toss the walls up again. Looking forward to seeing you all in the forums! :D

I've also unlocked this topic so folks can respond, but please make sure you stay on topic. ;)
Chat with Morti
GeekCaveCreations

Postby programo » July 12th, 2013, 10:43 am

I actually just had to ban someone who registered then tried to spam the forum.
Remember spam messages will result in a ban. The first post is still moderated. So is really not worth the effort!
programo
Site Admin

Postby zeb » January 18th, 2015, 5:49 pm

Bonjour,

Quelle est votre avis a propos des participants Français sur ce forum ? Le Forum est il uniquement anglophone ?
What is your opinion about French participant on this board? The Forum is there only English ?

Cordialement, best regards Zeb.
zeb
Casual Member

Postby GeekCaveCreations » January 19th, 2015, 8:38 am

Bonjour et bienvenue, Zeb. :)

Almost nobody here speaks French (Google Translate takes care of my French for me, but I suspect not well), but you are still very welcome to participate. If you prefer to use French, that's ok, but there may be trouble with translations.

Presque personne ne parle français ici (Google Translate prend soin de mon français pour moi, mais je soupçonne pas bien), mais vous êtes toujours les bienvenus pour participer. Si vous préférez utiliser le français, ce est ok, mais il peut y avoir des problèmes avec les traductions.
Chat with Morti
GeekCaveCreations

Return to Mods and Snippets